Reflections: Reading the Book of Revelation Today


Revelation 1:3 says in the King James Version of the Bible: "Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand."
When I was a little girl, my mother would read the book of Revelation to me. She and I did not understand a lot of what she read but it was so fascinating for me as a child and still is today.
I was not afraid to hear the words. After all there is a blessing stated in the first chapter of the book right after the introduction as I stated in the beginning of this article. Mama read the words, I heard them, and then I just asked God to help me keep those things which are written therein.

I marveled at what Jesus looked like as described in the first chapter of Revelation. In Church I learned about the baby Jesus in the manger, Jesus the Son of God and His ministry, and Jesus the crucified Lamb of God and resurrected victorious God who had conquered sin and death.

At mama's knees I learned about the Jesus described in Revelation chapter one. What a powerful description: Eyes like a flame of fire, long robe, golden belt, snow white woolen hair, feet like fine brass, voice sounding like many waters, countenance like the sun, a two-edged sword coming out of His mouth. Wow, what a mental picture and this is only the first chapter. This to me is better than any movie I have viewed over the years or book I have read.

In the book of Revelation, you can find a description of the very throne of God, the heavenly creatures, not so heavenly creatures, earthly events, a beautiful city, streets of gold, etc.
Many Christians run from the book of Revelation. Maybe religion has scared them away from it. I would not be surprised if many Christians are more willing to watch a "Freddy Kruger" movie than read the book of Revelation.

I attended a small Bible study group for many years and the group was willing to study any book but the book of Revelation. Some of the members seemed so frightened of it. I did not understand this. I still do not. Eventually we did study the book and had many lively discussions which caused us to think deeper about God. We did not try to interpret prophecy. We just read the book and talked about our impressions.
I do know that whenever I read the book of Revelation, I am indeed blessed. I have learned more about praising God, the love of the Lamb, that God has a great plan, that nothing is a surprise to God, and that He is truly the Alpha and Omega.

Today is a good day to read the book of Revelation and begin to see life, history, the future, and God from God's perspective instead of your own perspective. Keep an open mind, ask God to help you understand what you read, and ask Him for help in keeping the things spoken of in the book; and you will find that Revelation is truly a book of today and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment