Favorite Bible Verse

I have many favorite verses in the Bible. It really depends upon what book I am reading, what I am searching for, or what is happening around me at the time.

Today I would say my favorite verse is found in Genesis 50:20. In the King James Version it says: "But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive."

This verse says so much to me. It shows me the following:
1. Evil thoughts bring about evil actions.
2. God can and does work around sin and evil to bring about good.
3. God doesn't just bring good to a few people but to "much people."
4. Joseph had a pure heart toward his family. He looked beyond his brother's sin.
5. Joseph forgave his brothers fully. He did not hold unforgiveness or anger against his brothers.
6. Joseph was aware of his brother's hatred for him in the past. It was his understanding of God and how God works that helped him to be forgiving and loving.
7. Joseph not only forgave his brothers but worked toward being reconciled to them.
8. By these words, I would guess that even though Joseph went through many hardships and he could have blamed his brothers for it, he instead looked to God and let his mind dwell on the blessings instead of the hardships.

When I look at this verse and the story of Joseph that surrounds it, I am amazed how God sets forth every detail to fulfill his plan. We can even go back to when Abraham walked with God and God told Abraham in Genesis 15:13 the following in the Amplified Version: "And [God] said to Abram, Know positively that your descendants will be strangers dwelling as temporary residents in a land that is not theirs [Egypt], and they will be slaves there and will be afflicted and oppressed for 400 years [Fulfilled in Exodus 12:40.]"

Joseph had so many reasons to be angry both with his family and with God. Instead, he just kept trusting God and doing the best job possible everywhere he went. He always prospered. This is a favorite verse because I have applied the principles of Joseph to my life and found much peace and prosperity in every area.

No comments:

Post a Comment