Medical Transcription: Getting Started

After many years of being an Executive Secretary (Administrative Assistant to you young folk), I grew restless and decided it was time to go back to school. I did not feel like reinventing myself totally, so I thought it would be wise to just expand on the skills I had already honed. So, it was back to school to become a Medical Transcriptionist.

The school classes that I needed to take were a total of four and I thought this would be a great adventure. After all, how hard could it be? I needed to take Medical Terminology, Anatomy and Physiology, Medical Transcription I and II.

I had been an Executive Secretary for over twenty-five years when I decided to tackle this new venture. I felt confident in my word processing skills, typing skills, grammar, editing, and proofreading skills. I had a good commandment of the English language as far as grammar, structure, and style were concerned. The only thing that could possibly hold me back would be dyslexia.

I made the decision that being a Medical Transcriptionist would work for me as I ran through the pros and cons of classes, experience, and a disability. It would be an adventure of learning new skills, I had a lot under my belt already, and the dyslexia just meant I would have to work harder than the average person. So, with a plan and a direction, I enrolled at the local community college and started out on an adventure of all adventures.

Other blogs I have written on this subject are:

  1. Medical Transcription: Words That Sound Alike
  2. Medical Transcription: Learning Medical Terms

No comments:

Post a Comment